1.04.2005

Family Reunion 2005 Edition

Last January 2, we had our traditional Family Reunion (mother side). There were games, singing, eating (lots of it), speeches, etc.

There was a planned Basketball Game, between Seniors (30 and up) versus Juniors but it never came about coz it’s very difficult for everybody to leave the gathering just to play the game. Science, almost everybody had their gear.

Just not to waste the effort packing our shoes and all, we decided to play basketball anyway, a half court game. The Juniors played 3 on 3, with one substitute player each. Played best of three. I can’t remember who won (with they way I remember things, I should be on the Seniors Team). I believe I had a game winner (fade-away baseline shot)
in game 3 but my cousin, who’s the Playing Committee (Who’s also a part-time Playing Commentator), disqualified my shot saying it touched the a leaf of a tree planted on the sidewalks. Grounded, he says. Now I forgot who won the series.

Then we played local subdivision boys, this time I remember, we won this one. Again, I made the last shot, the game winner. The shot? It was a super-duper-fade-away-shot. But again, it was not counted as the opponent was said to be not ready. Like I need to issue a memo next time saying, “Here I come!”.

My Encore of the night was when I sang “Bring Me Down” by Rivermaya, backed-up by my cousin. Just had to give-in to the demand of my relatives that everybody should sing. Just to give an idea what they heard from me that night, see notes below:

AnecNote 1: I once joined a singing group back in grade school. During the try-outs, the conductor said, “OK Boy, go ahead sing.” As soon as I was done, he said, “OK, your voice is rough, go there at the back.” Meaning, I am done.

AnecNote 2: Circa 87, we always had this singing competition amongst cousins, for unknown reasons, I tend to join all the time. And for unknown reason number 2, I chose to sing a Barry Manilow piece one time. Singing “I made it through the rain”, I almost made everybody sleep. This made my Lolo quipped, in a bloody serious tone (translated in English), “Hey, if that’s just what you’ll sing, it would be better for you not to sing at all.” What a confidence building remark.


By the way, Anecdotes 1 and 2 occurred so close that it began the end of my illustrious singing career. My singing during the Reunion was my sort of comeback performance. For the record, when I sang during the reunion, my Lolo was just 4 feet away, I happened to glanced at him, he had this UNEXPLAINABLE look at me, like he wanted to say something, like he’s itching to say the words.

Good thing, lighting doesn’t strike at the same place twice.

(When I was singing, I know he said to himself: “Hey, if that’s just what you’ll sing, it would be better for you not to sing at all.”)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home