7.28.2006

Can You Say Governor Barkley?


Can You Say Governor Barkley? You might as well try.

Because Chukster, the Round Mound of Rebound, my favorite player during the Michael Jordan Era (yes over MJ), Sir Charles Barkley is considering running for governor of Alabama in 2010.

Back in the day, he was having a superb career at Philadelpia (though no play-offs success there) when things got a little sour. He ended up being traded to Phoenix Suns for virtually half of the team that included Jeff Hornacek in the deal. After the switch, he soared and roared, ending up getting the 92-93 Most Valuable Player plum and leading the Suns to the finals. In the finals, he fell short against a mighty, balanced and well coached Chicago Bulls team.

Just last month, he switched again. He was identified with the Republican his entire life, but now carrying the Democrat tag. Will he soar and roar again after this trade of political alliance. Will he be taken seriously in Alabama politics?

Because of his game play antics, the bravado, the rough play, the trash talking and all other baggage, he was not taken seriously (especially early in his career) BUT he ended up having an unquestionable HOF career. And the last time guy named Jesse "The Body" VENTURA wasn't taken seriously by political opponents, he ended up in the Minnesota Capitol. So Barkley, serious or not, must not be taken lightly. Not that he is light in any way.

Quoting Barkley...

"I really believe I was put on Earth to do more than play basketball and stockpile money," said Barkley, known as the Round Mound of Rebound. "I really want to help people improve their lives, and what's left is for me to decide how best to do that."

"I was a Republican until they lost their minds."

"Alabama, that's my home. I'm thinking about running for governor; they need the help."

"What I've said is I'm rich like a Republican. But I'm not one."

"If it wasn't for Arkansas and Mississippi, we'd be dead last in everything. I think we can do better."

"There are too many black kids and their parents who do not value a good education," he said. "There are places where a black kid who is a good student and tries to speak correctly, you hear stuff like, 'He's trying to be white.' Well, I say, if that's true, we need more kids trying to be white."

"I really believe I was put on Earth to do more than play basketball and stockpile money," Barkley said. "I really want to help people improve their lives, and what's left is for me to decide how best to do that."


If he can work in office like he can talk, definitely a winner to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home